Better Medicare Alliance (BMA), a Washington based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations, and beneficiaries is seeking a Policy Associate. The Policy Associate is responsible for supporting the Policy and Research team in the review and analysis of new regulatory and legislative policy; supporting the development and management of research deliverables; and writing policy resources and documents for the organization. The Policy Associate will work closely with the Director of Policy and Research, Chief of Staff, and the President & CEO to implement the annual strategic plan for policy and research. The Policy Associate will be an integral part of the policy and research team and be responsible for maintaining record of policy documents and databases, as well as to interact with BMA Ally organizations related to policy work.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to grasp the specifics of health policy, with interest in Medicare, interpret and articulate policy ideas, and interact with a variety of stakeholders on policy and research topics. BMA offers opportunity for personal and professional growth with responsibility for implementation of strategic ideas. BMA is a growing and fast-paced environment within which to gain experience and knowledge of health policy, be productive, participate in development of ideas, and turn ideas into action. The candidate should be one who enjoys working collaboratively with a small, skilled team of professionals.
- Write fact sheets, issue briefs, spotlights, and other policy documents.
- Monitor and prepare summaries of legislative proposals, regulatory policies, discussions on key policy events and reports.
- Prepare background information and materials for policy presentations.
- Assist in review of internal materials to clarify policy and provides needed information and documentation on policy issues.
- Monitor and prepare summaries of policy activities, discussions and developments around Medicare and Medicare Advantage, including congressional events, hearings, and MedPAC meetings.
- Assist with furthering the research agenda by helping to manage research reports to completion.
- Coordinate and/or support policy events, such as roundtables and convenings.
- Monitor, compile, and catalogue key policy articles, research, and data points.
- Participate in rapid response analysis, write alerts and blogs on research and policy issues.
- Provide background and prepare memos necessary to develop policy relationships and support the ongoing maintenance of policy contacts for the organization.
- Support the development of policy material for newsletters, blogs, and other publications.
- Liaison for Ally questions on policy issues, as needed.
- Minimum 2-4 years of Capitol Hill, trade association, consulting, legislative and/or health care policy experience.
- B.A./B.S. required.
- Strong writing skills.
- Understanding of health policy issues, including a familiarity with federal health care programs, particularly Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
- Ability to synthesize and explain complex issues in clear, concise language.
- Understanding of key stakeholders, policymakers, and the legislative and regulatory process.
- Ability to represent organization at external events, including meetings and informal gatherings of stakeholders and policymakers.
- Collaborative team player with the ability to work independently and manage priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks and deliver against deadlines.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to email@example.com.